Growing and evolving but well-established space industry society needs an energetic, creative, team player to help us build on our strengths, fix our weaknesses, and take on new challenges. A unique minimal experience or entry level opportunity! Attention to detail with excellent writing and verbal communications skills with an ability to work well in a small staff, team-oriented environment. Candidate must demonstrate initiative, a desire to grow and learn, and take ownership over their assigned project areas. Willingness and ability to perform a variety of tasks or “wear many hats”; small staff means we all do whatever it takes. It’s not rocket science, but it IS the rocket science industry! Join us as we explore space!
Primary Responsibilities – Communications:
- Plan and generate member communications including creating content for website, publications and emails, membership retention activities and assisting in special projects as assigned.
- Develop, review and implement member engagement communications, including email, social media and presentations.
- Lead updating of the AAS website on an ongoing basis, with focus on event and news pages.
- Lead AAS social media activities on multiple platforms to communicate to and engage with member and non-member audiences about AAS activities, news, and offerings.
- Manage email lists and conduct email campaigns
Secondary Responsibilities – Meetings and Events:
- Assist with the management and coordination of multiple society meetings, conferences, and expositions
- Assist with on-site registration and event logistics and set-up
- Assist with speaker management including communications and on-site relations
- Assist with event registration needs, including receiving and responding to registration inquiries
- Assist with preparation and packing of materials for meetings and organize pre-event meetings for staff
- Answer phone calls to the main AAS line, including answering inquiries, directing callers to the appropriate persons or resources, and helping to resolve constituent challenges.
- Respond to general emails in a timely manner to enhance the member experience, and serve as backup to other email inboxes, as needed.
- Maintain membership related data by adding/updating CRM.
- Make outbound calls for follow-up and to support member success.
Assume other responsibilities, as assigned.
Skills and Experience:
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Strong telephone etiquette skills
- Strong customer service orientation, with the ability to actively listen, elicit information, comprehend customer issues/needs and recommend solutions
- Proficient in social networking sites (Facebook, Twitter, Linked-in, Instagram, etc.)
- Effective organizational, multitasking, and prioritizing skills
- Ability to be an excellent team player as well as work independently with minimal supervision.
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy skills
- Ability to manage multiple projects at once and move projects ahead efficiently
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office tools (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and comfort working in databases
- Must be able to lift up to 30 pounds and physically capable of arranging rooms for events
- Ability to travel 3-5 times per year (4-7 days per trip)
- Entry level to two years of experience. One to two years association or non-profit experience is preferred. New college graduates with an exceptional academic record and relevant intern experience are welcome to apply.
- Required Education: Bachelor’s (four-year) degree
- Compensation commensurate with skills and experience.
Reports to: Executive Director
Ready to apply? Click here to submit your resume and cover.
About the American Astronautical Society
The American Astronautical Society is the premier network of current and future space professionals dedicated to advancing all space activities. Founded in 1954, AAS has long been recognized for the excellence of its national meetings, technical meetings, symposia and publications and for their impact on shaping the U.S. space program. Members have opportunities to meet with leaders in their field and in related disciplines, exchange information and ideas, discuss career aspirations and expand their knowledge and expertise.