Criteria and Procedures
- All nominations received will be submitted to the Awards Committee.
- Nominations are welcome from anyone, not just AAS members.
- Nominations will not be accepted from a member who is a direct subordinate of the nominee.
- Late nominations and nominees who did not win awards will be retained for consideration for the next year’s award cycle.
- Required for each nomination is a letter (not to exceed two pages) which includes the following items:
- Date of submission
- Title of award
- Name, position, affiliation and contact information for the nominee
- Citation (3 lines maximum)
- Description of the accomplishments for which the nomination is being made, including applicability to the specific award under consideration
- Name, affiliation and address of the submitter
- Supporting material for nominee: i.e., curriculum vitae not to exceed 2 pages, is desirable, but not mandatory.
- Other letters of recommendation supporting the nomination may be submitted.
- Nominations by members of the Awards Committee must be documented in this same manner.
Note: Go to the Brouwer Award to see specific nomination criteria for that award.
Generally, AAS Awards will be bestowed for meritorious accomplishments during the previous year. However, meritorious accomplishments prior to then, not previously honored by AAS award recognition, are equally acceptable and will receive full consideration. Likewise, accomplishments of an individual over a sustained period of time will be sufficient to merit the granting of any relevant AAS award. As a rule, any nominee who received an AAS award within the preceding 3 years will not be considered for additional awards.
Please note: The recipients of the Eugene M. Emme Astronautical Literature Awards and Ordway Award for Sustained Excellence in Spaceflight History are selected by the AAS History Committee. For the Emme Awards, deadline for receipt of nominations for books published the previous year is April 30, with review copies due by May 30. The Dirk Brouwer Award is selected by the Space Flight Mechanics Committee and the International Cooperation Award is selected by the International Programs Committee.
Nomination materials should be sent as Word attachments to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line “2020 Award Nomination – last name”.