The readership of Space Times magazine are space professionals, space enthusiasts, educators, students, and those interested in the space program, space exploration, science, and policy. The tone of the magazine leans more toward conversational rather than formal. Articles are written for a well-educated audience that has a great interest in space topics but may not necessarily be familiar with an author’s specific topic. Virtually any topic involving space science, technology, exploration, law, or policy may be covered. Issues relevant to the civil, commercial, and military and intelligence space sectors are also welcome.
- Articles published in Space Times magazine are written with a clear explanation of technical concepts without inclusion of footnotes, endnotes, or bibliographies.
- Articles range from 600 to 3,500 words, and any exceptions are handled on a case-by-case basis.
- Articles must be submitted in Microsoft Word format, Times New Roman font, 10.5 pt. Additional formatting will be handled during the editing process.
- Two copies of the final article must be submitted – one version without any images embedded and one with images embedded.
- Submission of photos, images, tables, charts, or other visual support is strongly encouraged but not required. All images must be provided in high resolution JPG format (minimum 300 dpi), both in color (CMYK) and black and white (grayscale). Images must be provided as separate files.
- Captions and sources for all images are required. Obtaining permission from the owner of any photos or other visuals is the responsibility of the article’s author.
- Articles must include:
- a title;
- a one to two sentence summary of the article for index purposes (preferred but not required);
- if applicable, subheadings providing separation between major sections of the article;
- a one to two sentence byline/author biography which will appear at the end of the article; and
- the current mailing address of the author(s).
Five complimentary copies of the issue in which the article appears will be mailed to each author. A PDF of the final magazine will be available at www.astronautical.org, the web site of the American Astronautical Society.
The standard submission deadline is the 15th of the month prior to the issue date (i.e., August 15 for the Sep/Oct issue; October 15 for the Nov/Dec issue; etc.); however, if possible, extensions will be granted on a case-by-case basis.
Submit all articles and graphics directly to Diane Thompson, Editor, at email@example.com. For telephone inquiries, please call 703-866-0020, Monday-Friday, 9AM-5PM US ET.