2013 ISS Research and Development Conference
"Discoveries, Applications and Opportunities"
July 16-18, 2013
Denver Marriott City Center
1701 California Street
Organized by the American Astronautical Society in cooperation with the Center for the Advancement of Science in Space (CASIS) and NASA
Tuesday, July 16
Duane Ratliff, Chief Operating Officer, NASA Liaison, CASIS: "ISS National Lab Opportunities for Research and Technology Development – Enabling Commercial Utilization" (345 kB .pdf | View on SlideShare)
Plenary Panel 1: ISS Top Discoveries in Microgravity
Moderator: Marshall Porterfield, Director, Space Life and Physical Sciences, NASA Headquarters
- Thomas Lang, University of California San Francisco: "Bone Loss in Long-Duration Spaceflight: Measurements and Countermeasures" (1.8 MB .pdf | View on SlideShare)
- Vedha Nayagam, National Center for Space Exploration Research/Case Western Reserve University: "Cool Flames in Space, a Hot Prospect on Earth!" (4.5 MB .pdf | View on SlideShare)
- Millie Hughes-Fulford, San Francisco VA Hospital and University of California San Francisco: "Effects of Spaceflight on the Mammalian Immune System (T-cell activation)"
The Science of the ISS
Speaker: John Grunsfeld, NASA Associate Administrator for the Science Mission Directorate
Speaker: Astronaut Don Pettit
Plenary Panel 2: ISS Top Benefits and Applications in Earth Science, Materials and Education
Moderator: Julie Robinson, ISS Program Scientist, NASA Johnson Space Center
- Darryl Keith, EPA: "Hyperspectral Imager for Coastal Ocean Imagery & Ocean Protection (HICO)" (2.7 MB .pdf | View on SlideShare)
- Eric Furst, University of Delaware: "Overcoming Kinetic Barriers to Self-Assembly: Field-directed Colloidal Phase Transitions"
- Zahaan Bharmal, Google: "YouTube Space Lab Project" (4.1 MB .pdf | View on SlideShare)
Parallel Technical Session 1
- Physical Sciences - 1. Chair: Fred Kohl.
- Education. Chair: Diane Matthews.
- Remote Sensing. Chair: Alan Stern.
- Human Research. Chair: Mark Shelhamer.
Wednesday, July 17
Plenary Panel 3: Top Utilization of ISS for Medical Advancements
Moderator: Mike Roberts, Research Pathway Manager, CASIS
- Hubertus Thomas, Max Planck Institute for Extraterrestrial Physics: "Complex Plasma Applications for Wound Healing from pk-3" (9.0 MB .pdf)
- Garnette Sutherland, University of Calgary: "Advancing Neurosurgery through Space Technology"
- Louis Stodieck, BioServe Space Technologies, University of Colorado at Boulder: "AMGEN Countermeasures for Bone and Muscle Loss in Space and on Earth" (2.5 MB .pdf | View on SlideShare)
Parallel Technical Session 2
- Life Sciences. Chair: Mike Roberts.
- Fundamental Physics - 1. Chair: Brad Carpenter.
- Technologies Enabling Exploration - 1. Chair: Al Holt.
- Enabling New External Research Opportunities. Chair: Marybeth Edeen.
Putting the "International" in the ISS
Special remarks: Bill Gerstenmaier, NASA Associate Administrator, Human Exploration and Operations Directorate
- Nicole Buckley, Chief Scientist, Life Sciences and the ISS, CSA
- Eric Istasse, Head of ISS Mission Science and Utilization Planning, ESA
- Shigeki Kamigaichi, Deputy Director, Space Environment Utilization Center, JAXA
- Julie Robinson, ISS Program Scientist, NASA
- Georgy Karabadzhak, Head of Space Exploration Complex, Roscosmos
- Igor Sorokin, Deputy Head of Space Stations Utilization, Energia
Parallel Technical Session 3
- Earth and Space Sciences. Chair: Vernon Jones.
- Fundamental Physics/Physical Sciences - 2. Chair: Bob Corban.
- Technologies Enabling Exploration - 2. Chair: Dave Hornyak.
- Enabling New Life Sciences Research Opportunities. Chair: Duane Ratliff.
Plenary Panel 4: Top ISS Technology Applications Enabling Exploration
Moderator: George Nelson, ISS Technology Demonstration Manager, NASA Johnson Space Center
- Robyn Carrasquillo, NASA Headquarters: "ISS Environment Control & Life Support System" (10.2 MB .pdf | View on SlideShare)
- Richard Reinhart, NASA Glenn Research Center: "Space Communications and Navigation (SCaN) Testbed" (5.2 MB .pdf | View on SlideShare)
- Jill Mcguire, NASA Goddard Space Flight Center: "Robotic Refueling Mission" (2.8 MB .pdf | View on SlideShare)
Sponsors and Organizers
- Gold Sponsor: Boeing
- Luncheon Sponsor: Lockheed Martin
- Sierra Nevada Corporation
- United Launch Alliance
- Orbital Sciences Corporation
- Teledyne Brown Engineering
- Media Sponsor: Space News
Conference Technical Co-Chairs:
- Dr. David B. Spencer, Vice President Technical, AAS/The Pennsylvania State University
- Dr. Julie Robinson, ISS Program Scientist, NASA Johnson Space Center
- Timothy Yeatman, M.D., Chief Scientist, Center for the Advancement of Science in Space
Conference Executive Chairs
- Walt Faulconer, Executive Vice President, AAS/Strategic Space Solutions, LLC
- Duane Ratliff, Chief Operating Officer, Center for the Advancement of Science in Space